Published on February 29th, 2012 | by Tumble Guy7
How to Change Tumblr URL Name without Losing your Followers
Published by Tumble Guy on February 29th, 2012 |
Did you pick a tumblr name but realized it doesn’t make sense? Or have you thought of a brilliant idea for a new name?
Choosing the right Tumblr name can affect how others see you and ultimately how much followers you will have. So it really is important to pick a good name. But changing your tumblr name without notifying your followers could create confusion and negative effects to your tumblr.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to change Tumblr URL name and redirect visitors of your old url to your new one.
How to Change Tumblr URL
If you would like to change your Tumblr URL, follow these simple steps
- Go to your Dashboard
- Click on the title of your blog
- Click “Blog Settings” at the Sidebar on the right
- Find the “URL” section and change it to a new one you want
- Scroll down and hit “Save”
Will I lose my followers?
When you change your Tumblr URL you will not lose followers you already have. However, it’s a great idea to let them know that you’ve changed your URL as to not confuse them once you start posting contents again.
How do you tell your followers?
Upload an “I’ve Moved” Landing Page
You should create a secondary blog with your old Tumblr URL and redirect it to your new one. This way, when someone visits your old tumblr, they will know that you’ve changed it and be directed to your new one.
Click here to see a demo of an “I’ve Moved” landing page I’ve made.
To do this, follow these simple steps:
- Create a secondary tumblog and use your old URL
- Choose that tumblr blog and click “Customize Theme”
- Click “Edit HTML”
- Delete all existing codes
- Copy all the code here and paste it to your HTML
- Click “Update Preview”
- Save your theme and refresh the page
- Insert your New URL, New Username, Message.
Now, when someone visits your old tumblr URL, they will see your new landing page with a link to your new Tumblr URL